ClimateActionWR is a collaboration between local organizations, community members, and municipalities in Waterloo Region focused on climate change mitigation, and is led by Reep Green Solutions (Reep) and Sustainable Waterloo Region (SWR). It coordinates the activities of Waterloo Region’s community climate action strategies – establishing cross-sector dialogue, facilitating collaborative opportunities, and monitoring and measuring progress towards achieving our community’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction target.
In June 2021, ClimateActionWR completed the development of our community’s long-term climate action strategy, TransformWR, which was endorsed by all eight municipalities in Waterloo region. This work outlines a long term strategy to achieve an 80% reduction in GHG emissions by 2050 (80by50), and 78 local action items to reduce emissions 30% by 2030. ClimateActionWR is now working to support the community in the implementation of the strategy, building capacity for our municipalities, and engaging the broader community in the work and to take action.
As the Community Engagement Coordinator you would fulfill the following roles to support our community in achieving our 80by50 goal and increase sustainability across Waterloo Region:
- Support internal and external communications related to engaging the community in the TransformWR community climate action strategy, including:
- Designing, coordinating, and implementing the Street Team Campaign (subject to change based on current COVID guidelines);
- Supporting the design and implementation of a community engagement campaign related to the implementation of the TransformWR strategy;
- Giving presentations and meeting with community stakeholders;
- Developing written communications materials such as presentations, sector-specific resources, blog posts, social media content etc;
- Conducting outreach to build relationship with local groups and organizations;
- Developing agendas, recording discussions, taking minutes for meetings and workshops as necessary;
- Reviewing community engagement activities for opportunities to improve and address gaps in our resources and communications.
- Act as a liaison between the Plan Manager and other stakeholders of ClimateActionWR;
- Create momentum, and drive change toward a low carbon future;
- Other tasks to support ClimateActionWR, as required.
To Apply: Send an email with your current resume and cover letter to Taginder at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the role title and your name in the subject line
Duration: This is an 8-week position. The start date is flexible, but must start by July 9, 2022.